Sunday, June 19, 2011

Long Fangs Dual Squad

Well I had a few hours, yes, that's right, HOURS off today as my lovely wife took the baby boy out for a while. So I decided to do a bit of mucking around as well as finishing off the two long fangs squads. Also a guy wielding a missile launcher like a baseball bat =) I had to do an Imperial Guard missile launcher conversion of sorts to work with my space wolf long fangs.


Here are the results. I give you the Wolf's Breath Long Fang squad, dealing massive AoE damage with two plasma cannons and two missile launchers. The templates will hammer all enemies! To make sure they looked like space wolves and not just devastators I've used bits from a normal space wolf box and a spear from some really old fantasy, I think skeletons. They also all have bare heads for a more wolfy feel.



And here's the Fang of the Wolf, heavy hitting piercing damage through two lascannons and two missile launchers. Here's where I had a bit of fun. Given that I didn't have enough space marine missile launchers, my brother let me have some of his Imperial Guard ones as compensation for gluing together a squad for him. To bulk them up a bit (and enjoy myself) I did some cutting and reposing for some wolfy action. One of them is reloading or something, the other has just wielded his launcher like a baseball bat to kill some local wildlife. The backpacks on them, I think, are meant for the sergeant to use, but I couldn't have just two guys with ordinary packs when all the other Long Fangs had special ones =)




Vjork took quite a bit of work, and I'm looking forward to painting him up. Firstly I had to find some arms that were roughly in the right poses. I actually stood up myself holding a vacuum cleaner pole to get the pose right, as though he's just returning from a big swing down by swinging back up. The hands had to be cut at both wrists.


The right hand was cut and filed down to make a groove for the missile launcher to slot into, there's a nice flat rectangular bit that worked well. Another one of the big open hands was the right size to grip the bottom of the missile launcher. After that it was just a lot of fiddly repositioning with some greenstuff to help get the arms in the right position. 



Slightly different angle here, I found that it was easiest to get the greenstuff stuck in a fairly big blob, then glue the hands on and wait for the glue to partially set. Then I could reposition things by swivelling and moving just slightly and the glue was set enough to keep it together, but not so set that it wouldn't move around some.



Here you can see a bit more of the hand that had the most work done to it. I cut a thumb off and reglued it back on in a better position (originally it was bent down into the fist). A bit of paint and you'll never know =)




Vjork Verminslayer has a somewhat psychotic hatred of creepy-crawlies. His pack leader recently gave him a big dressing down after he launched a frag missile at a Fenrisian spider nest, narrowly avoiding killing some nearby Blood Wolves. On their current mission a massive rat-like beast skittered across the field of battle right in front of Vjork. With his sergeant's condemnations still ringing in his ears he chose not to waste a missile, but still took care of the rat-beast in an efficient manner.


The rat is a giant rat I got cheap on eBay (well, a whole pile of them) that I planned on using for my LotR army at some stage. I'm not sure if it's visible really in any of the shots (actually, in the one a couple up from this one it is) but I also indented near the top of the missile launcher by filing away a bit then putting some plastic glue on it. Once the plastic glue had sat there for about half a minute I scraped it away, leaving a slightly misshapen, but roughly semi-circular indentation on the barrel for where it has impacted the poor rat-thing. When painted I'll leave that bit metallic, as though the paint was stripped and put a matching colour paint in a similar shape on the head of the rat-thing to show where it was hit.




Anyway, being completely new to 40k I don't know whether this sort of tom-foolery is allowed, but I had a blast doing it and now have my two long fangs squads!


Next on my list are the remaining few Grey Hunters and then after that the scouts (though I'm not rushing to get them done).

2 comments:

  1. These figures are looking quite dynamic! Glad the missile launchers turned out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sort of "tom-foolery" is exactly what sets a great army apart from the rest.

    I look forward to seeing more of your conversions and "tom-foolery".

    Rathstar

    ReplyDelete