Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Etako Ironfist

Well, well, well, what do we have here... some sort of LotR and 40k crossover?

Here's my squad leader for my first pack. He's a wolf guard named Etako. He has one eye and a powerfist. The similarities kinda end there. No axe, instead a combi-melta. Small difference there.

I have a few power armoured wolf guards that I'll use for pack leaders. I had the choice of termie or power armour for them. I do have some in terminator armour, but I like the idea that I can fit Etako and 9 other marines in the squad into a drop-pod or other transport. Also it means that the squad can follow up attacks, I can't remember what that rule is called, where terminators are too slow to do so.

Anyway, without further ado...

No helmet as I needed to show that he had one eye! Also helps keep the "special characters" a little more distinct as all of my normal marines (except for the banner bearer) have helmets.


You can see the left shoulder has the same symbol on it as he's still part of Skodi's army and that's his symbol. I also did the rims of the shoulderpads in bronze instead of the usual silvery/grey.


You can also see that he's on a raised rocky bit to give him a bit of extra height. That and the back banner thing easily differentiate him as different from the other troops.


 The Wolf Guard pack marking that he belongs to is partly covered here, but you can see enough of it. It's yellow with three black triangles, it ends up sort of making an "M" shape. Also here you can see a parchment I added to him. It contains the three rules that everyone he leads must follow. Not sure what the three rules are yet. Something along the lines of "if you're dead, the wounds had better be to your front" "the only good xeno is a dead xeno" "save the big one for me" etc.


And here's his squad. You can see I've put some lava on his base to help match the general lava wolf theme. Oh, and on his knee-pad I've put the pack markings that are on the shoulders of the other guys.


How did I get time to paint him? The lad had a 2 and a bit hour nap the other day when my wife was looking after him so I got a fair bit done then. Since then a few 15-20 minute sessions did each other bit.

Tempted to do a terminator next when I should be working on finishing the other squad members...

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the name-plate and the scrolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I love your paint jobs.
    I was wondering; are there ever going to be more Lotr battles? I really like your 40k conversions and painting, but I play only lotr myself, and so I personally am not as interested in 40k. I realize you have a baby now and haven't even done many 40k games, but do you still plan to do more lotr sometime in the future?
    By the way, this is by far my favorite Warhammer gameplay site for lotr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really want to do more games - believe me! As soon as I get a chance to, my brother and I will be definitely playing more!
    Of course, we'll have to re-learn everything!
    I just got an old White Dwarf that had a whole heap of Moria scenarios, so I think they'd be fun to play through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Moria scenario's sound great!! I collect Dwarves and Goblins!

    ReplyDelete