Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Brown Birch

 To try out the new Citadel paints I went just with the paint guide on the website. This Birch Ent is using the Grey/Brown selection. Firstly I got out my big drybrush...

A healthy all over slathering of the Dryad Bark base colour...


And back...


Then a really heavy drybrush of Gorthor Brown...


And back...


Then a pretty heavy, but lighter than before drybrush of Baneblade Brown...


 And back...


Then my first try of the new Dry paints, Terminatus Stone. I gotta say, I really liked the Dry compound paint. It went on really nicely, you only need a tiny amount and I found it easy to work with.


And back...


Finally Agrax Earthshade washed liberally all over...


And back...


And then the first coat of the leaves and vine at night, so the lighting is super harsh!


The leaves will be coloured yellows, oranges and reds and I've yet to do any highlighting on the vine leaves.


Really enjoying the sculpt, and this is about three hours work to do the browns and green and yellow. I'm really happy with how the brown came out, the photos don't quite look right, so you might have to wait until it's done and at my brother's house for proper shots.

Anyway, just a quick update to show you the progress. Hopefully tomorrow I'll finish it off! Super quick (for me anyway) it'll have taken longer to put it together (thanks to that slow drying glue) thank it will for me to have painted - go the big drybrush!!!

3 comments:

  1. Your idea with the autumn painting turned out pretty well indeed!
    Just an idea though, maybe you'd like to read once more Tolkien's description about Ents, in "Two Towers". It says there that all Ents have bush-like beards, and gives an extremely detailed guide about their eyes also.

    Keep impressing us with your work (and your writing skills)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments =)
    I can't find anything about all ents having beards (actually the line in my version implies only a few of the elder ents had beards). As a matter of fact, the only thing that they seemed to have in common was the eyes as they were "as different from one another as trees from trees" "But when the Ents all gathered round Treebeard... ...then the hobbits saw that they were all of the same kindred, and all had the same eyes..."
    The eyes are talked about has having flickering green in them.
    I'm hoping to get the flickering green look by doing tiny specks in the pupil.
    Will try to get more done later today but will depend entirely on the napping length of a 19 month old =)

    ReplyDelete